March is Brain Injury Awareness Month: TBI Statistics
This month is recognized by various agencies and organizations as Brain Injury Awareness Month. It's a good time to familiarize yourself with the nature of traumatic brain injury: how it can be caused, how prevalent it is, and what you can do to support a loved one who has sustained a brain injury. For the purpose of raising awareness, please consider the following statistics from the CDC:
- Of the leading causes of TBI, falls make up 40.5 percent, motor vehicle accidents 14.3 percent, struck by/against events 15.5 percent, and assault 10.7 percent
- In 2010, traumatic brain injury was involved in 50,000 deaths
- From the decade spanning 2001 to 2010, rates of brain injury related emergency room visits increased 70 percent
- Men are more likely to sustain a TBI than women
- Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of TBI-related fatalities among 5 to 24 year olds
Our experienced injury lawyers have represented many brain injury victims over the years. We see how these injuries strain the lives of the injured and their families. An inability to perform former job duties can severely affect the family's livelihood, and this strain is only compounded by extensive medical bills.
For a free case review, please call Ricci Law Firm, PA, at (252) 285-4081.