Slip and fall lawsuits are one of the most common types of personal injury lawsuits. These accidents can happen inside and outside in all sorts of weather. In fact, weather is one of the main factors in slips and falls outdoors. The most common types of outdoor conditions that lead to a slip or a fall are:
- Weather-related, especially unnatural build-ups of snow and/or ice, such as melting ice that drips to the ground due to clogged or damaged drainpipes or gutters and refreezes, or the frozen puddles that form because of poor drainage or slopes on a property.
- Poor lighting that may lead to not seeing a curb, step, or cracked or broken pavement.
- Parking lots, including cracks or patches and uneven areas.
- Sidewalks; even though most sidewalks are maintained by a local municipality, if a walk is exclusively used by patrons of a business, the business owner may be liable for unkempt areas.
Indoor conditions include:
- Floors that are wet, damp, or excessively polished as to be slick, and have not been adequately marked as such.
- Rugs or carpets that are torn, ripped, have curled edges, or are easily moved by stepping on them.
- Stairs that have become uneven, have inadequate lighting or handrails, or have debris.
- Elevators and escalators that are old, worn out, or damaged, or do not work properly
One of the challenges in a slip and fall lawsuit is proving the party responsible for the premises was aware of a potential problem and did not take the proper steps to address it. You need an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you navigate such a lawsuit. If you’ve been hurt due to a slip or fall in or around Raleigh, Fayetteville, Greenville or any of the surrounding areas of North Carolina, please call the Ricci Law Firm Injury Lawyers for a free case evaluation.