Worker Killed at Butterball Plant
A Duplin County man tragically died in a work-related accident this past Tuesday at around 2pm. Robert McCullen, 28 years of age, was electrocuted while he was working in the ceiling replacing a light at the Butterball plant on Garner Road in Duplin County. His co-workers attempted CPR as EMS crews rushed to the scene, but the attempts to revive him failed. He was transported to Vidant Duplin Hospital in Kenansville where he died. McCullen had been an employee at the Butterball plant since 2010.
A spokesperson for Butterball stated, “Butterball's first concern is always the safety and well-being of our team members, and we are deeply saddened by the death of a team member that occurred yesterday afternoon at the Butterball Mount Olive, North Carolina facility. An accident occurred while an employee was performing maintenance duties and the employee died as a result of his injuries… We extend our heartfelt prayers and condolences to his family and friends."
The Butterball plant and OSHA will investigate the accident. In 2016, the Butterball plant was fined $5,250 after inspectors found two serious violations at the facility. The plant was also fined $4,550 in 2015 for another serious violation.
The Ricci Law Firm, P.A. represents victims of workplace accidents, injuries, and deaths throughout North Carolina. If you or someone you love was injured on the job, call us at (252) 285-4081 for a free consultation, or fill out an online contact form here. Our Greenville personal injury attorneys are here to help you and your family recover.