What Questions Should I Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer?
You find yourself in a car accident, which is something you've never dealt with before. You are out of work because of your injuries and aren't sure what to do next. You want to hire a lawyer but you have questions you want to ask first. But where do you start with those questions? Let's take a look at the questions lawyers get often and what to look out for in terms of their answers.
Questions you can ask the lawyer
There are certain questions you are always entitled to answers to when it comes to lawyers. This is especially true if you've never had the decision thrust in front of you to hire one before. Here are some of the questions you can ask them in the consultation meeting.
1. What is your contingency fee? The contingency fee is something you should discuss with the lawyer before hiring them. Assuming you win, the lawyer will ask for a certain percentage of the winnings in your case. This kind of fee often only occurs in personal injury or workers' compensation cases.
2. Will I be responsible for any case costs if we lose? This is a question you definitely need to ask while in the consultation, especially if you plan to hire the lawyer. In the chance that you do not succeed with the case, there may be certain costs you are responsible for. Make sure to ask them what fees you are responsible for, both to the law firm and to the court system itself.
3. Have you tried these types of cases before? This is a question that most lawyers get quite often from clients they have never worked with before. It is okay to ask this question, as you do want to know if the lawyer can handle your type of case. Though each case is inherently different, they have undoubtedly worked a similar case before.
4. Do you have the time necessary to work on my case now? While a lot of law firms have multiple cases going on at once, they have several lawyers in the firm for that reason. The more lawyers in the firm, the more likely they are to be able to focus on your case effectively. It is still alright to ask this question if you aren't sure if they have the time for it.
5. When will my lawsuit be filed? When it comes to workers' comp and personal injury both, you want to make sure that your claim is filed as soon as possible. The earlier you file it and the more information you have from the get-go, the quicker the process will be in the long run. It is okay to ask them when they will file the claim and how long your case will take in the system.
Why it's important to ask these questions
When you've been injured, it's understandable that you should ask a few questions. The lawyers are professionals who have been asked a lot of questions before so your questions will not be new for them. As you are figuring out what lawyer to hire, keep an eye out for their answers to your questions. They will be honest with the answers they give you with the intention of helping you in your time of need.
It's always a good idea to figure out what questions to ask that give you the answers you need. You do not have to ask the same questions every time, though you would get different answers from each lawyer you talk to.
Why should you even ask these questions? These questions give you a feel for who the best lawyer is for your case. It gives you an idea of how the lawyer will handle your case and how well they deal with stress. Choosing the right lawyer for your case can easily mean the difference between success and failure.