Requesting a Second Opinion

Getting hurt at work can be a pain at times. You know that it will be a long process to get the money you deserve. You won’t be able to work and you need the money to pay bills.

You know you need to get workers’ compensation but you aren’t sure about the doctor’s ruling on the matter. You aren’t sure why the doctor is saying what he is or even what he is saying.

You want a second opinion because you feel like you aren’t getting the treatment you need for your injury. Is that even possible at this stage? How can you go about getting that second opinion?

What is the process for getting a second opinion when it comes to workers’ compensation cases? You aren’t sure what to do first so you contact a lawyer.

The lawyer explains everything to you in a way that you can understand much better. Let’s take a closer look at what the lawyer told you. That way, you can get your questions answered.

Getting a Second Opinion

The simple answer to this question often asked is that you can get a second opinion. More often than not, the doctor you see first is someone hired by the insurance company or workers’ comp.

You do not have to take this doctor’s word on the matter. If you do not think it is correct, then you have the right to ask for a second opinion.

There are some steps you need to take before you can get that second opinion. Let’s take a deeper look into them so you can know what to do going forward.

Requesting that Second Opinion

If you want a second opinion about the injury you got at work, you have to request it from the insurance company. There is a chance that they could deny the request.

If they do deny the request, then you have go to the North Carolina Industrial Commission. You must get their permission for getting a second opinion.

This is especially true for any doctor you want to go to that is out of the state of North Carolina. You are liable for any fees that incur because of the doctor visit. Your boss isn’t responsible for it yet.

Getting the Industrial Commission’s Approval

By now, you’ve gotten a second opinion by a doctor of your choice and you like the doctor. You want that doctor to be the doctor you go to for the rest of your treatment.

In order for this to happen, you need the approval of the Industrial Commission. This is especially true if the doctor is out of state and not the one the insurance picked out for you.

Once you get the Commission’s approval, you don’t have to pay any of the bills. Your employer is in charge of that, including the gas it takes you to go back and forth to that preferred doctor.

Greenville, NC Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

I’m Brian Ricci, a a href=”/workers-compensation/”>workers’ compensation lawyer in Greenville, NC. If you or a loved one has sustained an injury
at work, please call me at please call me at (252) 777-2222 or 800-387-6406 for free, friendly advice.

Million Dollar Advocates Forum.

Take a look at our Past Verdicts and Settlements page and our many Testimonials.

See our reviews on Facebook, Avvo, and Google.

Founder of the leading personal injury website: