3 Things You Need to Do Right After a Workplace Injury

Getting injured on the job can be one of the most stressful things during your working career. Not knowing the process surrounding workers’ comp can certainly add to that feeling of stress suddenly landing on your “plate”. What happens when you’re injured on the job for the first time? Let’s look at the first 3 steps you need to take after the accident so you can know what needs to be done afterward.

1. Tell your supervisor.

One of the first things you should always do after getting an injury while at work is to tell your supervisor about it. If you cannot tell the supervisor yourself due to the severity of your injury, you should give a letter to them in writing within 30 days of the injury. If you do not give this letter to your supervisor within those 30 days, you lose out on the chance to apply for workers’ comp. Make sure of the time limit for this notification so that you can give this letter to them in plenty of time. The lawyer you talk with should be able to tell you about how long you have to give them the letter. That way, you are going through the workers’ comp process correctly.

2. Call for medical attention.

Another thing you should do after being injured on the job is to call for medical attention. The worse your injuries, the higher your chance that you need an ambulance. Even if you believe the injuries are not serious, you should get checked out by a medical professional. This medical professional can include your primary care physician or a doctor in the closest hospital. Make sure your treatments are properly documented by the medical professional so you can use them during the workers’ comp process at a later time. The workers’ comp representatives will ask for that medical information so make sure you only give them the information from this visit. Don’t sign over your entire medical history since that would harm your chances of receiving workers’ comp.

3. File a claim for workers’ compensation and talk to an Eastern NC Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

Make sure to file this claim for workers’ comp within 30 days of the accident or you may lose the right to receive the compensation at all. If you are unsure of what form to fill out or what the exact process is, you can hire a lawyer to make sure you follow the rules. The lawyer can give an expert opinion on what form to fill out and how to respond to any unusual questions that may come up. The representative of the insurance company may have some follow-up questions about the accident. The lawyer will
make sure the questions are answered in a way that does not harm your chances of getting the compensation.

I’m Brian Ricci, a workers’
lawyer in Greenville, NC. If you or a loved one has sustained an injury at work, please call me
at please call me at (252) 777-2222 or 800-387-6406 for free, friendly advice.

I am a longtime member of the Million Dollar Advocates

Take a look at our Past Verdicts and Settlements page and our many Testimonials.

See our reviews on Facebook, Avvo, and Google.

Founder of the leading personal injury website: https://www.riccilawnc.com/personal-injury/