Should I Use My Health Insurance to Pay My Medical Bills After an Accident?

So, you’ve gotten into a car wreck and can feel the pain in your leg. You know it won’t be able to support your weight if you get out of the car. It’s frustrating because you weren’t expecting the accident in the least. This means you will be out of work for at least 2 or 3 months, which means your budget will be incredibly tight. You wonder how you’re going to pay for the medical bills, because you know from past experiences that it will be costly.

Being in an accident is a hard-enough shock; getting injured in that accident is even nastier. Let’s look into how your injury factors into the results of your accident, shall we?

The General Rule

The general rule in this case is that you are responsible for your medical bills as they come in. This is the case even if the other person is at fault for the wreck that caused your injuries. The law does not require the other person, if they are at fault, to cover your medical bills on an ongoing basis. The only thing required of the other driver is that they pay any medical bills you’ve already incurred to resolve the lawsuit that comes about. There are times when medical bills are even lumped into the “damages” notated in the lawsuit. Other than that, the other driver is not responsible for your medical bills on an ongoing basis.

North Carolina: An At-Fault State

If you get into a wreck in NC, you are responsible for medical bills as you incur them. NC is considered an at-fault state, which means you can sue the other driver as a reimbursement for what you paid in medical bills. You can also sue to get some money for the wages you lost because of the injuries you sustained in the wreck. You can also sue for emotional damages as well, such as emotional scarring or suffering.

Additionally, you may be able to what is called “med pay,” where you and the other people in your car can be covered for medical bills you incur up to $10,000. The med pay insurance representatives will handle the payment for any medical bills you incur. If NC was an at-fault state, there would be a limit to the dollar amount you could sue for and even limit the ability to sue for damages in the first place.

Should I Use My Health Insurance?

If you do not have a personal injury protection plan (PIP) or med-pay on your side at the time, you are able to use your health insurance to cover the medical bills. This, in fact, would be your best course of action in your situation. If the other driver was at fault for the wreck, which NC would figure out since it is an at-fault state for accidents, you can file a claim against their insurance as well. This course of action would take a while to sort out, ultimately. It could even take months to sort out in your favor while you are stuck paying the bills in the meantime while in pain. The best thing to do is to send all medical bills to your health insurance and file a claim against the other driver when you are able to do so.

If you were recently injured in a car wreck, don’t wait to consult with a qualified personal injury attorney in Greeville. At Ricci Law, P.A., we are here to help you secure maximum damages for your pain and suffering. Call us today at (252) 777-2222, or contact us online here.